Back in November I posted a miniature I had just finished, of apricots on an antique dish. It was a bit experimental, using coloured pencils on drafting film. In general I was happy with it, but had a niggling feeling something was not quite right, so showed it to a friend who has a very good eye for identifying just what needs adjusting. She reminded me that the eye tends to see primary colours first, then secondary and tertiary last, so the patterned wallpaper was leaping forward and confusing the composition. She also questioned the decision of placing the dish dead centre. So I have made some changes – an apricot has now fallen off the dish, the white runner has gone, so that the image is not sliced up into horizontal planes, and there is now a shadow under the dish. The wallpaper has gained a rusty brown background. I am sorry to lose the strength of the wallpaper, but I do think the composition has improved.